Guinea Bissau: ADB Group Supports Agriculture and Rural Rehabilitation Sector

Share |

Ouagadagou, 17 May 2006 – The African Development Fund and the Government of Guinea Bissau today in Ouagadagou signed a grant agreement of 5.8 million Units of Account, (equivalent to US$ 8.53 million) to finance an agricultural and rural sector rehabilitation project in Guinea Bissau.

The agreement was signed by Mrs. Zeinab El-Bakri, ADB Vice President of Operations, and Mr. Marcelino Owono, Minister of Finance and Budget of Guinea Bissau.

The project, to be implemented in the northern, eastern and western regions of the country, will contribute to the achievement of food security by improving rice and vegetable production, as well as by promoting livestock development.

It aims to intensify and increase the production of rice and vegetables by rehabilitating 2,500 ha of swamp and mangrove for  rice farms, developing 200 ha of small market gardens for women, rehabilitating agricultural feeder roads and storage facilities, introducing improved rice and vegetable seeds, and using new farming techniques. The project will also support the regional directorates of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD) by training supervisory personnel, installation of the necessary equipment, training members of associations of rice producers as well as providing technical training for vegetable producers.

The main components of the project are: rehabilitation of hydro-agricultural and rural infrastructure; support for agricultural production and livestock development; support for marketing; and project management and coordination.

The population of the project zone, estimated at about 600,000 inhabitants located in some 100,000 farms, is composed of rural families in the Cacheu, Oio, Bafata, Gabu and Biombo regions. They, especially the women, are among the most vulnerable segment of the population.

The total cost of the project is estimated at 6.55 million UA, (9.64 million USD). The ADF grant will finance 88.6% of the project while the Government of Guinea Bissau and the beneficiaries provide the remaining 11.4% of the costs.

The Bank Group’s operations in Guinea Bissau started in 1976. This approval brings the total commitment

of the Group in the country to US$ 284.31 million USD in 41 operations.

Project Information Sheet

- Executing Agency: Direction Générale d’appui à la Production Agropastorale (DGAPAP) du MARD. Project Coordination Unit (PCU) based in Bafata.

- Start-up Date: May 2006

- Duration:  5 years

- Procurement of Goods & Services:

- Works - Local Competitive Bidding (LCB): rehabilitation of roads, repair of buildings, rehabilitation of storage and marketing facilities;

- Goods - Competitive Bidding for the procurement of specialized material, transport equipment, office furniture and equipment and laboratory material;

Local Competitive Bidding for the procurement of computer hardware;

1UA = 1.47106 USD = 6627.37 as at 17 /05/06

CONTACT: Felix Njoku– Tel: +216 71 10 26 12 – E-mail:

Related Sections

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.