Malawi-ADF Supports Secondary Education Project

Share |

Tunis, 7 June 2006 – The Board of Directors of the African Development Fund (ADF), the concessional arm of the African Development Bank (AfDB) Group on Wednesday in Tunis approved a grant of 15 million Units of Account (UA*) equivalent to US$ 22.41 million to finance an education project in Malawi.

The objective of the ‘Support to Secondary Education (Education V) Project’ is to improve the quality, equity and relevance of secondary education, especially at the Community Day Secondary Schools (CDSS) across the country. Generally, the project is expected to enhance efforts to achieve universal primary education. It will also help to increase access and improve quality as well as gender parity in post–primary education in the country.

The project will involve the development of infrastructure, provision of education materials, capacity building and policy development for secondary education.

It will be implemented over a five-year period with the following outputs:

-  Each of the 30 CDSSs to be supported by the project will have an administration and staff block, 4 classrooms, a library, a laboratory, 2 houses for teachers, pit latrines, a fence, and borehole; classroom and office furniture and equipment; science equipment, textbooks and library books.

-  Supply of initial stock of textbooks and teachers’ guides for 60,000 Form I , II and III CDSSs students for core subjects;

-  Upgrading of 400 under-qualified CDSSs teachers through distance learning;

-  Training of 300 CDSS school managers and 54 secondary school inspectors;

-  Development of ICT policy for secondary education;

-  Review of  post-primary education;

The total cost of the project is estimated at UA 16.66 million (equivalent to US$24.89 million). The ADF grant will finance 90% of the costs. The government will cater for the other 10%.

The ADB Group operations in Malawi started in 1969. To date, the Bank Group’s cumulative commitments in the country stand at US$ 777.46 million in 90 operations.

Project Brief

-  Name of Project: Support to Secondary Education (Education V) Project

-  Location: Countrywide

-  Executing Agency: Ministry of Education, Private Bag 328 Lilongwe 3, Malawi Tel: +265 1 789 422/335. Fax: +265 1 788 064

-  Start up date: January 2007

-  Duration: 5 Years

-  Procurement of goods and services:
  - International Competitive Bidding (ICB): Science equipment and books

  - National Competitive Bidding (NCB): Civil works, furniture and office equipment.

  - Short List (SL): Individual consultants, firms and training institutions.

  - Direct Negotiations: Training of teachers, school managers, and school inspectors.

  - National Shopping (NS): Vehicle.

* 1 UA = USD 1.49418 as at 07/06/2006


Felix Njoku Phone: +216 71 10 26 12
You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.