Multi-stakeholder preparatory workshop to the Great Green Wall
|Location:||Abidjan - Côte d’Ivoire|
Context of the Partnership between the Bank and the PAGGW in the context of the Desert to Power Initiative.
- PAGGW's ambition is to promote local development opportunities in the 11 Great Green Wall countries by combining multi-sectorial projects. This objective is consistent with the objective of the Desert to Power initiative to provide electricity and energy access solutions for agricultural value chain, irrigation, pumping water for livestock, and creating resilience to climate change in this Sahara and Sahel zone of Africa.
- As a result, the PEVP team has worked closely with the other departments of the Bank, including AHVP and the external partners (PAGGW, African Union Commission and FAO) to organize a preparatory technical workshop for the round-table of technical and financial partners which will take place in end of 2017 / first quarter 2018 in Sudan.
Objectives of the Preparatory Technical Workshop of 25-27 October 2017 at CCIA Building
The main objective of the technical workshop is to agree on the projects to be carried out in the next three years (2018-2020). The national and regional projects that will be defined will identify the financing needs to be mobilized as part of the financing round-table objectives.
The expected outcomes are:
- Agreement on the multi-sectorial components (energy, water, agriculture, forest restoration) of the projects to be carried out during 2018-2020 and prioritization of the countries.
- Definition of a programmatic approach to PAGGW projects to be co-financed by the Green Climate Fund (GCF), the Bank, FAO and other interested technical and financial partners.
- Agreement on the modalities of the round-table of donors planned during the 4th Summit of Heads of State of the PAGGW in Sudan.
- Bilateral working sessions on ongoing projects under the Desert to Power Initiative: in particular in Burkina Faso, Niger and Sudan.