Tunis, 21 June 2006 – The African Development Bank (AfDB) Group will assist the Rwandan government’s efforts aimed at developing its human resources capacity with a grant of 15 million Units of Account (*UA) equivalent to US$ 22.41 million.
The Board of Directors of the African Development Fund (ADF), the concessional arm of the AfDB Group, on Wednesday in Tunis, approved the grant to finance a Program in support of the Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP) 2006-2010.
The ADF grant will help implement the ESSP, which seeks to promote poverty reduction by strengthening human resources for the socioeconomic development of the country. This will help the government achieve the MDGs by implementing a nine-year basic education program and strengthening science and technology education.
The program focuses on the following priority areas:
- Implementing a 9-year basic education scheme;
- Strengthening science and technology education;
- Building the sector’s planning, management and monitoring as well as its evaluation capacity;
- Encouraging the education of girls, particularly in science and technology.
It will involve the entire country, with activities in all provinces, particularly in rural communities, which account for more than 85 percent of the population of the country.
The direct beneficiaries of the project will include 1,752,588 pupils and 26,192 primary school teachers, 203,351 students and 7,750 secondary school teachers, in particular, those teaching in science and technology streams. Others are, 200 trainers in the teachers training colleges, and national technical education and training structures as well as local communities. Girls in secondary schools (middles school (tronc commun) and high school), who represent 47.63 percent of students at this level, are also a priority target group.
The ADB Group began operations in Rwanda in 1974. To date, its commitments in the country stand at US$ 576.66 million in 71 operations.
- Name of Project: Support for Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP) 2006-2010
- Executing Agency: Policy, Education Planning, and Capacity Building Unit, Ministry of Education, Kigali, Rwanda. Email: email@example.com; Web Site: mineduc.gov.rw - Tel: (250) 83051, 84234, 585482,82746 Fax: (250) 82162, 84234, 518216, 585483, 87724
- Start up date: October 2006;
- Duration: 4 years
- Total Cost: UA 92. 96 million
- Financing (UA million):
- United Kingdom (DfID) 15.73
- Netherlands 24.54
- Belgium 2.77
- ADF 15.00
- Other sources 34.92
* 1 UA = USD 1.49418 as at 14/06/2006