SADC: programme to control communicable diseases

Share |

ADB Group Supports Control of HIV/AIDS and other Communicable Diseases in SADC with a Grant of US$ 29 Million

Tunis, 16 November 2005 – The Board of Directors of the African Development Fund (ADF) the concessional window of the African Development Bank (ADB) Group approved in Tunis on Wednesday, a grant of 20 million Units of Account (UA*), equivalent to 28.92 million US dollars in support of a programme to control communicable diseases (HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria) in the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC).

The objective of the project is to contribute to the reduction of cross-border transmission of communicable diseases (HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria) among the most vulnerable population groups within the Southern Africa Redevelopments Community (SADC).

The project, which will be implemented over a period of 60 months, has the following components:

-  Harmonization of Policies and Strategies for the Control of Communicable Diseases,

-  Strengthening measures for Prevention and Care of Communicable Diseases at cross-border sites,

-  Project Coordination.

The first component will benefit all SADC populations, while the second component will target migrant workers, sex workers, refugees and displaced people, truck drivers, resident community etc. at cross-border areas of eight SADC countries, namely: Mozambique, Angola, Malawi, Tanzania, Zambia, DRC, Lesotho and  Zimbabwe

The project responds to the concerns of the SADC Government as stated in the Regional Indicative Strategic Development Plan (RISDP). It will contribute towards their goal of attaining an acceptable standard of health for all citizens within the objective of ‘Health for All’ by 2020 in all SADC member states. It will make possible the development of responses to the needs of people who are highly susceptible to the impact of communicable, diseases, and who require regional-level assistance, such as mobile populations and displaced people. Women are particularly vulnerable to communicable diseases, because they are socially and economically insufficiently empowered to negotiate safe sex and to avoid high risk occupations such as sex work and cross border trading. About 3,000,000 people will benefit directly from the project services in general and in particular: 1,000, 000 people will be tested for HIV prevalence; 5,000 persons will receive training on gender issues; 150,000 pregnant women and their babies will be covered by Prevention of Mother to Child Transmission (PMTCT) activities; 1,500,000 persons will have access to malaria and TB treatment.

The total cost of the project is estimated at UA 22.226 million, (about US$32.13 million). The ADF grant will finance 90.0% of the costs while the SADC will provide the remaining 10% or UA 2.226 million (about US$ 3.21 million).

UA 1 = USD 1.44580 as at 01 /11/05


Felix Njoku Phone: +216 71 10 26 12
You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.