The 2019 Annual Meetings of the African Development Bank Group will be held from 11-14 June 2019, in Malabo, Republic of Equatorial Guinea. Find out more

SADC States - AfDB Group Supports Campaign to Contain Trans-boundary Animal Diseases

Share |

Tunis, 7 July 2006 – The campaign to check the spread of animal diseases within the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) will receive support from the African Development Bank (AfDB) Group following the approval in Tunis on Wednesday, a grant of 13.71 million Units of Account (UA*), equivalent to US$ 20.28 million by the Board of Directors of the African Development Fund (ADF), the concessional arm of the (AfDB) Group in Tunis on Wednesday.

The primary objective of Strengthening Institutions for Risk Management of Transboundary Animal Diseases (TADS) project is to enhance livestock as a tradable and consumable commodity through assured animal health, more specifically, through improved capacity for detection, identification, monitoring and surveillance of TADs in the region. It will contribute to improved food security and promotion of wealth creation, enhanced rural livelihoods by progressively controlling TADs of regional strategic importance, namely the Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) and the Contagious Bovine Pleuropneumonia (CBPP).

The project consists of three components:

  • Networking and Information Sharing;
  • Capacity and Institutional Strengthening,
  • Project Coordination and Management

The project area includes the SADC Secretariat for regional activities and Angola, Malawi, Mozambique, Tanzania and Zambia for country specific activities. The basis for the choice of these countries is the endemic nature of CBPP and FMD as well as poor quality veterinary systems.. The project will focus on the high risk areas in each of the participating countries that either have a high incidence of CBPP or FMD or that have a high risk of incursions of these diseases such as those neighbouring game parks or countries where the diseases are highly endemic. Farmers in the SADC Region and especially those in the participating countries as well as Institutions involved in diagnosis, training, applied research and control of TADs, will also benefit from the project.

 The total project cost is estimated at UA15.23 million, equivalent to US$ 22.53 million. The ADF grant represents 90 % of the cost. The SADC and the participating governments will provide the remaining 10 %.


Felix Njoku Phone: +216 71 10 26 12
You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.