Tunis, 1 March 2005 – The President of the African Development Bank (AfDB) Group, Mr. Donald Kaberuka, has announced the appointments of four new Vice Presidents and the Secretary General of the institution. The appointments came at the end of a competitive, global search process that involved some 500 candidates from around the world.
The new appointees are: Mr. Joseph B. Eichenberger as Vice President, Planning Policy and Research (PRVP); Mrs. Zeinab Bashir El Bakri as Vice President, Operations, West and Central Africa Region (OCVP); Mr. Mandla Sizwe Vulindlela Gantsho as Vice President, Operations, North, East and South Africa Region (ONVP); Ms. Arunma Oteh as Vice President, Corporate Management (CMVP); and Mr. Modibo Toure as Secretary General. Mr. Thierry de Longuemar, stays on in his position as Vice President for Finance.
In announcing the appointments, the President of the Bank Group pointed to qualities of competence, youth and to the geographical and gender diversity of the new management team. All of the appointees are under 50 and include, for the first time in the history of the ADB, two women as Vice Presidents.
Mr. Kaberuka also noted that the men and women he had selected, after recommendations from an eminent interview panel of highly respected international personalities, came with impeccable academic qualifications and had held high-level positions in global and regional institutions such as the, the Asian Development Bank, the Development Bank of Southern Africa, the United Nations and the AfDB itself.
The team will join the President in leading implementation of a reform agenda that seeks to transform the Bank into a more effective development institution that is also a centre of knowledge on African development issues.
The New Leadership Team
- Mr. Eichenberger, 48, comes from the Asian Development Bank where he served as Senior Vice President and Deputy CEO;
- Mrs, El Bakri, 49, currently Director for Social Development, was Acting Vice President in the AfDB in 2005;
- Mr. Gantsho, 43, is Managing Director of the Development Bank of Southern Africa ;
- Ms. Arunma Oteh, 41, has been AfDB Director of Treasury since 2001;
- Mr. Modibo Toure, 47, is a member of the UNDP Transition Team. He was UNDP Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator in Ethiopia from 2004 to 2005.