Support for Public Procurement Reform in WAEMU
ADF Approves US$ 6 Million Grant
Tunis, 4 December 2006 – The Board of Directors of the African Development Fund (ADF) on Monday in Tunis approved a grant of 4 million Units of Account, equivalent to US$ 6.03 million to support the implementation of a Regional Public Procurement System Reform Project in the West African Economic and Monetary Union (WAEMU) member states.
The objective of the project is to modernize and harmonize public procurement systems in the Union’s member countries by effectively implementing the community’s regulations on public procurement.
In order to attain these objectives, the project will:
- Develop and promote a community framework for public procurement;
- Build institutional human capacity in the commission and the member states.
The project is the result of efforts by WAEMU to forge a harmonized legal framework that can boost the emergence of a dynamic and competitive regional economy capable of successfully integrating the global economy.
The project is expected to result in the incorporation of two WAEMU directives on public procurement into national laws of the eight member countries of the Union, the preparation of regional standards of bidding documents for procurement of goods, works and services, and the creation of a regional observatory of public procurement (ORMP).
Project Information Sheet
- Country: West African Economic and Monetary Union (WAEMU)
- Project Title: Project in Support of Public Procurement Systems Reform in the WAEMU Zone –Phase II
- Phase IIProject Location: Countrywide
- Beneficiary: WAEMU Commission
- Executing agency: WAEMU Commission: Public Finance Directorate of the Department of Economic Policy /WAEMU 01 BP 543 Ouagadougou 01 Burkina Faso Telephone: (226) 31 88 73 - Fax: (226) 50 31 88 72
- Estimated start up Date: January 2007
- Duration: 4 years
- Procurements: Goods
- national competitive bidding for procurement of computer equipment and accessories ;
- national shopping for suppliers for office equipment and furniture, vehicles, sundry guides and teaching materials, maintenance costs of equipment and vehicles, air travel, and operating expenses.
Consultancies: The shortlist procedure shall apply for procurement of project services in
respect of the studies, individual consultancy services, and sensitisation campaigns.
* 1 UA = USD 1.50773 = CFA 749.247 as at 04/12/2006
External Relations and Communication Unit – Tel.: +216 71 10 29 16 – Fax: +216 71 10 37 52 – E-mail: email@example.com