Uganda: ADF Approves US$ 29.6 Million for Health Sector Project

Share |

Tunis, 8 November 2006 – The Board of Directors of the African Development Fund (ADF), has approved a loan of 20 million Units of Account (UA*), equivalent to US$ 29.6 million, to finance the second Health Sector Strategic Plan Support Project (SHSSPP II) in Uganda.

The objective of the project is to reduce maternal mortality in selected districts in Uganda and to contribute to the reduction of mental health disorders in the country.

The project has the following components:

  • Improvement of the delivery of reproductive health services;
  • Expansion of the delivery of mental health services;
  • Project management.

The project coverage is countrywide, with the main thrust on maternal and mental health initiatives and advocacy programmes, as well as production of Emergency Obstetric Care (EmOC) guidelines and protocols for the benefit of the population, currently estimated at 25.6 million (projected from 2002 census).

It will involve the construction of mental health units within seven regional hospitals (Mbarara, Lira, Moroto, Mbale, Jinja, Mubende and Masaka). These will complement six regional mental health units built under the first Health Sector Strategic Plan Support Project (SHSSP I).

The maternal health component particularly targets women of child-bearing age, especially in the western region, which has a total population of 6,400,000 (27% of the total population) and a high population growth rate of 2.8% per annum. The direct beneficiaries living in the ten targeted districts number about 3,358,259 people or 14% of the country’s total population.

The ADF loan will finance 90% of the total project cost. The government will finance the remaining UA 2.22 million, which represents 10% of the total costs.

The ADB Group began operations in Uganda in 1968. The Bank’s cumulative commitments in the country currently stand at US$ 1.2 billion in 99 operations.

Project Brief

  • Name of Programme: Support to Health Sector Strategic Plan Project II (SHSSPP)
  • Location: Districts of Mbarara, Isingiro, Kiruhura, Ibanda Ntungamo, Bushenyi, Kabale, Rukungiri, Kanungu, Kisoro
  • Regional Mental Health Units: Lira, Moroto, Mbale, Jinja, Mubende, Masaka, MBarara
  • Executing Agency: Ministry of Health, P.O. Box 8096, Kampala-Uganda, -Tel: + 256 41 534025/533481/554261 –Fax: + 256 41 530701 - e-mail:
  • Estimated Starting Date: January 2007
  • Duration: 5 years
  • Procurement:  Procurement of goods and works and procurement of consultancy services financed from ADF resources will be in accordance with the Bank’s Rules of Procedure for Procurement of Goods and Works or Rules of Procedure for Use of Consultants, as appropriate, and the Governments Procurement Rules.

* 1 UA = 1.48004 US$ = 2747.65 UGX as at 08/11/2006

External Relations and Communication Unit – Tel.: +216 71 10 29 16 – Fax: +216 71 10 37 52 – E-mail:


Felix Njoku Phone: +216 71 10 26 12
You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.