US$ 85 million for Labe-Seriba-Medina Gounass-Tambacounda Road Upgrading
Tunis, 4 December 2006 – A new road funded by the African Development Fund will help foster trade between Guinea and Senegal. The Board of Directors of the Fund today approved a funding of 56.4 million Units of Account (US$ 85 million or CFA 42.3 billion) to finance the upgrading of the road linking Labe in Guinea to Tambacounda in Senegal.
The construction of the road will permit the opening up of the high agricultural and livestock potential areas in Guinea and Senegal. It will also contribute to the strengthening of regional cooperation and economic integration by reducing non-tariff barriers and ‘invisible’ costs. It will make it possible to develop business activities along the corridor and help local populations improve their living conditions.
In order to attain these objectives, the project will, among other things ensure the:
- construction of 385 km of tarred road between Labe and Médina Gounass, of which 316 km in Guinean territory and 69 km in Senegalese territory;
- rehabilitation of 89 km of tarred road between Medina Gounass and Tambacounda;
- upgrading of 190 km of rural roads in the two countries.
The ADF funding includes a loan of 20.5 million Units of Account (US$ 31 million or CFA 15.4 billion) benefiting Senegal and a grant of UA 35.9 million (US$ 54 million or CFA 26.9 billion) in favour of Guinea (UA 30.32 million, id est US$ 45.7 million or CFA 22.7 billion) and the West African Economic and Monetary Commission (UEMOA/WAEMU) to the tune of UA 5.58 million (US$ 8.4 million or CFA 4.2 billion).
- Sources of financing: WADB, SDF/KFAED, ABEDA/IDB, Private hauliers, WAEMU, government of Guinea and government of Senegal
- Estimated start-up date and duration: April 2007, for 39 months
- Executing Agencies:
- UEMOA Commission through the Department of Regional Development, Infrastructure, Transport and Telecommunications (DATC) for general monitoring of the Program, Rue Agostino Neto, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso ; 01 BP 543, Tel: (226) 50318873/76, Fax: (226)50318872
- Direction Nationale des Investissements Routiers (DNIR) of the Ministry of Public Works, P.O. Box 581, Conakry, Guinea , Tel: (224) 60-45-45-31; Fax.(224) 43-47-34;
- Agence Autonome des Travaux Routiers (AATR) Supervised by the Ministry of Infrastructure, Land Transport facilities and Internal Maritime Transport (MIETTTMI) ; rue David DIOP x F, Fann Résidence; P.O.Box 25242, Dakar (Senegal) ; Tel: (221) 869-07-51; Fax: (221) 864-48-33
- Procurement of Goods and Services: International Competitive Bidding and Short list of consultants
* 1 UA = USD 1.50773 = CFA 749.247 as at 04/12/2006