Equity and Quasi-Equity
The Bank takes equity positions in qualifying business enterprises in its RMCs as part of its strategic development financing mandate. The Bank’s ability to provide risk capital through equity and quasi-equity is a key element of its resource mobilization role.
The Bank uses equity and quasi-equity participation as instruments of investment to:
- Promote the efficient use of resources;
- Promote African participation;
- Play a catalytic role in attracting other investors and lenders to financially viable projects; and
- Promote new activities and investment ideas.
The Bank may invest in equities either directly or indirectly, through appropriate funds and other investment vehicles. Additionally, it may choose to invest via quasi-equity instruments including redeemable preference shares, preferred stock, subordinated loans or convertible loans.
- 13/12/2017 - EUR 500 million 0.250% 7-year Social Bond Transaction - Due 21 November 2024
- 05/10/2017 - AfDB issues its first “Light Up and Power Africa” theme Bond
- 01/08/2017 - AfDB signs US$ 78 million grant agreements with Governments of Somalia and South Sudan to strengthen drought resilience and address chronic hunger and malnutrition
- 09/12/2015 - AfDB approves US $53 million for water in Zimbabwe and financial reform in Chad
- 12/08/2015 - Fitch affirms African Development Bank at ‘AAA’; Outlook stable