The Bank’s Strategy for 2013-2022 aims to improve the quality of Africa’s growth and is built around two objectives. The first is to achieve growth that is more inclusive, leading not just to equality of treatment and opportunity but to deep reductions in poverty and a correspondingly large increase in jobs. The second objective is to ensure that inclusive growth is sustainable, by helping Africa gradually transition to “green growth” that will protect livelihoods, improve water, energy and food security, promote the sustainable use of natural resources and spur innovation, job creation and economic development. Priorities in reaching green growth include building resilience to climate shocks, providing sustainable infrastructure, creating ecosystem services and making efficient and sustainable use of natural resources (particularly water, which is central to growth but most affected by climate change).
The AfDB Green Bond program facilitates the achievement of the Bank’s corporate priority of green growth through the financing of eligible climate change projects. Investors can make a difference with their investment by financing climate change solutions through AfDB’s Green Bonds.
An amount equal to the net proceeds of AfDB’s Green Bonds are initially allocated to a sub-portfolio within the Treasury’s liquidity portfolio. As and when eligible projects begin to disburse, Green Bond proceeds in the liquidity portfolio are then allocated to the loan pools containing the disbursing green projects.
- 13/06/2018 - MDB climate finance hit record high of US$ 35.2 billion in 2017
- 13/06/2018 - Environment: African Development Bank leads fight against polluting plastic products
- 07/06/2018 - Say no to plastic! The African Development Bank shows the way in the fight against plastic pollution in Africa
- 04/06/2018 - World Environment Day: Collective action must be taken to beat plastic pollution in Africa
- 04/06/2018 - Innovative approaches to financing climate adaptation
- 01/06/2018 - African Development Bank leads on creating an Africa Financial Alliance for Climate Change
- 01/06/2018 - African Development Bank to provide US $7 million to Sudan for rural livelihoods’ adaptation to climate change in the Horn of Africa II
- 31/05/2018 - Ten-year CAD 60-million “Feed Africa” bond issued by the African Development Bank
- 31/05/2018 - Beat Plastic Pollution week
- 25/05/2018 - The African Development Bank and the Global Green Growth Institute partner to fast-track Green Growth in Africa
- 24/05/2018 - Climate and disaster risk financing get fresh boost from African Development Bank
- 24/05/2018 - African Ministers discuss innovative financing mechanisms to respond to climate change
- 22/05/2018 - Accelerating Africa’s efforts to fight climate change
- 09/05/2018 - African Development Bank approves US $1.5 million for Jigiwa on-grid IPP solar power procurement program
- 09/05/2018 - African Development Bank approves US $1.5 million for Jigawa on-grid IPP solar power procurement program
Final ESG rating report by Oekom (165 kB)
AfDB Second Opinion - CICERO (519 kB)
Synopsis of GBP alignment (476 kB)