The Bank’s Strategy for 2013-2022 aims to improve the quality of Africa’s growth and is built around two objectives. The first is to achieve growth that is more inclusive, leading not just to equality of treatment and opportunity but to deep reductions in poverty and a correspondingly large increase in jobs. The second objective is to ensure that inclusive growth is sustainable, by helping Africa gradually transition to “green growth” that will protect livelihoods, improve water, energy and food security, promote the sustainable use of natural resources and spur innovation, job creation and economic development. Priorities in reaching green growth include building resilience to climate shocks, providing sustainable infrastructure, creating ecosystem services and making efficient and sustainable use of natural resources (particularly water, which is central to growth but most affected by climate change).
The AfDB Green Bond program facilitates the achievement of the Bank’s corporate priority of green growth through the financing of eligible climate change projects. Investors can make a difference with their investment by financing climate change solutions through AfDB’s Green Bonds.
An amount equal to the net proceeds of AfDB’s Green Bonds are initially allocated to a sub-portfolio within the Treasury’s liquidity portfolio. As and when eligible projects begin to disburse, Green Bond proceeds in the liquidity portfolio are then allocated to the loan pools containing the disbursing green projects.
- 17/01/2018 - African Development Bank Governors from West and Central Africa hold fruitful consultations with Senior Bank Management
- 11/01/2018 - Le Niger obtient 43 millions de dollars de la Banque africaine de développement sous forme d’une aide budgétaire
- 09/01/2018 - Le Fonds des énergies durables pour l’Afrique soutient la promotion des mini-réseaux verts en République Démocratique du Congo
- 28/12/2017 - African Development Bank achieves 100% investment in green energy Projects in 2017
- 20/12/2017 - Sustainable energy: African Development Bank approves US $ 20m support to Evolution Fund II
- 16/12/2017 - African Development Bank approves vital LDCF-financed climate change adaptation program in the Horn of Africa
- 06/12/2017 - SEFA supports the development of the first utility-scale wind farm in Mozambique
- 16/11/2017 - Fighting climate change in Africa: AfDB launches Africa NDC Hub with 10 partners
- 15/11/2017 - COP23: Improving livelihoods through regional cooperation
- 14/11/2017 - Africa Day at COP23
- 13/11/2017 - COP23: Unblocking investment into climate resilience
- 13/11/2017 - COP23: Update on the AfDB’s Climate Actions 2017
- 13/11/2017 - COP23: Innovations in Disaster Risk Financing for Africa
- 13/11/2017 - Global Water and Climate Action Day at COP23
- 10/11/2017 - COP23: One of the biggest challenges facing the continent is the lack of bankable projects, experts agree
AfDB Second Opinion - CICERO (519 kB)
Synopsis of GBP alignment (476 kB)