The Bank’s Strategy for 2013-2022 aims to improve the quality of Africa’s growth and is built around two objectives. The first is to achieve growth that is more inclusive, leading not just to equality of treatment and opportunity but to deep reductions in poverty and a correspondingly large increase in jobs. The second objective is to ensure that inclusive growth is sustainable, by helping Africa gradually transition to “green growth” that will protect livelihoods, improve water, energy and food security, promote the sustainable use of natural resources and spur innovation, job creation and economic development. Priorities in reaching green growth include building resilience to climate shocks, providing sustainable infrastructure, creating ecosystem services and making efficient and sustainable use of natural resources (particularly water, which is central to growth but most affected by climate change).
The AfDB Green Bond program facilitates the achievement of the Bank’s corporate priority of green growth through the financing of eligible climate change projects. Investors can make a difference with their investment by financing climate change solutions through AfDB’s Green Bonds.
An amount equal to the net proceeds of AfDB’s Green Bonds are initially allocated to a sub-portfolio within the Treasury’s liquidity portfolio. As and when eligible projects begin to disburse, Green Bond proceeds in the liquidity portfolio are then allocated to the loan pools containing the disbursing green projects.
- 19/07/2017 - Tanzania wins US$21.7 million from Climate Investment Funds to advance geothermal exploration and transform its energy sector
- 10/07/2017 - Africa Climate Change Fund launches second call for proposals
- 07/07/2017 - AfDB approves US$1 million emergency relief grant to drought victims in Kenya
- 03/07/2017 - Morocco secures US $25 million loan from the Clean Technology Fund for hybrid solar project
- 30/06/2017 - Le Conseil d’administration de la BAD approuve le document de stratégie pays, 2017-2021 pour la Tunisie
- 29/06/2017 - AfDB approves SEFA contribution for Green Mini-Grid Market Development Program to scale-up energy access in Africa
- 20/06/2017 - Côte d’Ivoire, la BAD remet des équipements et outils de terrain pour la gestion intégrée du Bassin versant du Gourou
- 16/06/2017 - AfDB working with partners to accelerate implementation of drought resilience programme
- 06/06/2017 - Political will needed to drive Africa’s agricultural transformation, debate hears
- 31/05/2017 - AfDB promotes sustainable, resilient and healthy agro- and forest ecosystems with GEF
- 29/05/2017 - Thirteen African countries seal agriculture industrialization deal with India
- 25/05/2017 - And the winners of the Africa Development Impact Awards are…
- 24/05/2017 - Focus on AfDB and Africa’s top priority: Lighting up and powering Africa
- 24/05/2017 - Drought in Africa: AfDB and Ethiopia sign funding agreement to provide water and sanitation to 3 million people
- 24/05/2017 - AfDB combines energy, agriculture explosion to kick off industrialisation
AfDB Second Opinion - CICERO (519 kB)
Synopsis of GBP alignment (476 kB)