The Bank’s Strategy for 2013-2022 aims to improve the quality of Africa’s growth and is built around two objectives. The first is to achieve growth that is more inclusive, leading not just to equality of treatment and opportunity but to deep reductions in poverty and a correspondingly large increase in jobs. The second objective is to ensure that inclusive growth is sustainable, by helping Africa gradually transition to “green growth” that will protect livelihoods, improve water, energy and food security, promote the sustainable use of natural resources and spur innovation, job creation and economic development. Priorities in reaching green growth include building resilience to climate shocks, providing sustainable infrastructure, creating ecosystem services and making efficient and sustainable use of natural resources (particularly water, which is central to growth but most affected by climate change).
The AfDB Green Bond program facilitates the achievement of the Bank’s corporate priority of green growth through the financing of eligible climate change projects. Investors can make a difference with their investment by financing climate change solutions through AfDB’s Green Bonds.
An amount equal to the net proceeds of AfDB’s Green Bonds are initially allocated to a sub-portfolio within the Treasury’s liquidity portfolio. As and when eligible projects begin to disburse, Green Bond proceeds in the liquidity portfolio are then allocated to the loan pools containing the disbursing green projects.
- 18/04/2018 - Successful completion of Third West African Forum for Climate and Clean Energy Financing in Abidjan
- 18/04/2018 - Africa crafts message of sustainability for international climate negotiations
- 09/04/2018 - Third West African Forum for Climate and Clean Energy Financing
- 05/04/2018 - ACCF Secretariat and experts meet in Abidjan on second call for proposals assessment
- 21/03/2018 - Governance is key to boosting intra-Africa trade of timber products, says report by African Natural Resources Centre, African Development Bank
- 21/03/2018 - International Day of Forests: Interview with Modibo Traore, Officer-in-Charge and Chief Natural Resources Management Officer at the African Natural Resources Centre
- 20/03/2018 - International Day of Forests
- 07/03/2018 - The African Development Bank obtains US$ 52.5 million Green Climate Fund for Zambia Renewable Energy
- 04/03/2018 - Partnerships are key to protecting the continent’s wildlife: African Development Bank joins international community to commemorate World Wildlife Day
- 26/02/2018 - Africa Carbon Forum (ACF)
- 23/02/2018 - Africa Climate Week (ACW)
- 09/02/2018 - Africa Science, Technology and Innovation Forum opens in Egypt
- 17/01/2018 - African Development Bank Governors from West and Central Africa hold fruitful consultations with Senior Bank Management
- 11/01/2018 - Le Niger obtient 43 millions de dollars de la Banque africaine de développement sous forme d’une aide budgétaire
- 09/01/2018 - Le Fonds des énergies durables pour l’Afrique soutient la promotion des mini-réseaux verts en République Démocratique du Congo
Final ESG rating report by Oekom (165 kB)
AfDB Second Opinion - CICERO (519 kB)
Synopsis of GBP alignment (476 kB)