The Bank’s Strategy for 2013-2022 aims to improve the quality of Africa’s growth and is built around two objectives. The first is to achieve growth that is more inclusive, leading not just to equality of treatment and opportunity but to deep reductions in poverty and a correspondingly large increase in jobs. The second objective is to ensure that inclusive growth is sustainable, by helping Africa gradually transition to “green growth” that will protect livelihoods, improve water, energy and food security, promote the sustainable use of natural resources and spur innovation, job creation and economic development. Priorities in reaching green growth include building resilience to climate shocks, providing sustainable infrastructure, creating ecosystem services and making efficient and sustainable use of natural resources (particularly water, which is central to growth but most affected by climate change).
The AfDB Green Bond program facilitates the achievement of the Bank’s corporate priority of green growth through the financing of eligible climate change projects. Investors can make a difference with their investment by financing climate change solutions through AfDB’s Green Bonds.
An amount equal to the net proceeds of AfDB’s Green Bonds are initially allocated to a sub-portfolio within the Treasury’s liquidity portfolio. As and when eligible projects begin to disburse, Green Bond proceeds in the liquidity portfolio are then allocated to the loan pools containing the disbursing green projects.
- 14/12/2018 - The land, agriculture and forestry nexus at the heart of African sustainability
- 14/12/2018 - COP24: Increased water financing, infrastructure is key to ensuring cross-border water security in Africa
- 14/12/2018 - African Development Bank places water and sanitation on Africa’s climate agenda
- 11/12/2018 - Operationalising the NDCs in Africa: "Think in terms of development opportunities, not obstacles or challenges"
- 11/12/2018 - Cleaning up the transport sector in African cities
- 11/12/2018 - Regional Hubs to aid countries in achieving NDCs
- 11/12/2018 - Climate change resilience: the need for synergy in African initiatives
- 11/12/2018 - Technology’s crucial role in managing African climate shocks
- 10/12/2018 - COP24: From Policy to Action: Integrating Gender into National Climate Actions in Africa
- 10/12/2018 - Kenya forests: over 14,000 hectares reforested under 10 years, thanks to African Development Bank
- 10/12/2018 - Risk management: weather services and insurance to counter natural disasters in Africa
- 07/12/2018 - Why Africa is the next renewables powerhouse
- 07/12/2018 - Combating deforestation: Optimizing the implementation of the REDD+ mechanism in Africa
- 07/12/2018 - Multilateral Development Banks: Turning the Paris Agreement into reality
- 07/12/2018 - African Development Bank pushes for a solar-secure Sahel region
Final ESG rating report by Oekom (165 kB)
AfDB Second Opinion - CICERO (519 kB)
Synopsis of GBP alignment (476 kB)