What is the Jobs for Youth in Africa Strategy?
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) launched its Jobs for Youth in Africa (JfYA) Strategy (2016-2025) at its Annual Meetings in May 2016 in Lusaka, Zambia. The aim of the strategy is to support African countries vis-à-vis scaling up responses to the youth unemployment and underemployment crisis on the continent. This will be achieved through practical, high-impact solutions aimed at creating opportunities via education and training, transformative jobs and a business environment conducive to entrepreneurial activities (i.e. youth entrepreneurship).
- During the first year of the JfYA strategy implementation, 1.6 million jobs were created and 652,000 people trained, the large majority of whom were women and youth (ADER 2017)
- More than 1,000 participants convened at five high-level Regional Ministerial Conferences to build momentum for JfYA strategy implementation
- More than 200 AfDB staff received AfDB-ITCILO trainings to mainstream the job lens in AfDB operations and country dialogues. Additionally, online sector modules are currently being rolled out to ensure continuous engagement.
Donors / Partners
The Youth Entrepreneurship and Innovation Multi-Donor Trust Fund establishes a Youth Innovation Lab to promote youth employment and support the incubation of youth and women-owned enterprises. The Lab focuses on fragile states and economic migration hotspots across Africa.
The Jobs for Youth in Africa Strategy has selected three sectors with high potential for youth inclusion for the initial flagship programs: agriculture, industrialization, and ICT. The Flagship Programs follow a unique approach, aimed to ease the design and implementation of individual projects.
- 30/10/2018 - Tanzania: Alternative Learning and Skills Development Project
- 26/10/2018 - Bank strives to boost job creation and entrepreneurship in Nigeria
- 25/09/2018 - African Development Bank Boosts Jobs for Youth in Africa Strategy with close to $2 Million
- 05/09/2018 - Répertoire opérationnel africain des métiers et des emplois (ROAME) : Lancement des travaux en Guinée Conakry
JfYA - Implementation Progress (607 kB)
Jobs for Youth Africa - Brochure (6.29 MB)