2017 STAARS Technical workshop
A STAARS Technical workshop will be held at the AfDB Headquarters Building in Abidjan, on December 11-12, 2017. Organized by AfDB and Cornell University, the workshop will bring researchers from the STAARS community and other practitioners to discuss recent developments on agricultural research in Africa and analyze their policy implications. The December 2017 STAARS Technical Workshop is a continuation of the STAARS tradition in enhancing knowledge generation and dissemination. This technical workshop, organized by the Research Department of AfDB and Cornell University, aims at bringing together the broader STAARS community to present their recent research findings and discuss the policy implications of this research for the transformation of Africa’s agriculture. It offers a unique opportunity for researchers to interact with policymakers and agricultural experts from all over the world. The workshop will take the format of plenary sessions to maximize interactions between participants and foster in-depth policy discussion.
Expected outcomes of the technical workshop
The expected outcomes from the STAARS technical workshop include, inter alia:
- Dissemination of new evidence and knowledge generated through the STAARS project on progress, opportunities, and challenges of transforming Africa’s agriculture,
- Practical policy recommendations and dialogue on Africa’s agricultural transformation,
- Discussion of progress and success-stories on agricultural transformation in Africa,
- Enhanced awareness of participants on the role of agriculture in Africa’s development and structural transformation,
- Capacity building of emerging African researchers working in the agricultural sector and forging alliances with practitioners and experienced researchers in the field,
- Increased visibility of the STAARS project and the Bank’s effort in transforming the agricultural sector in Africa.
2017 STAARS Fellowship Program
The STAARS Fellowship Program is a highly selective research program aimed at strengthening agricultural research capacities of young African scholars. Six highly qualified young African researchers are part of the 2017 cohort and are currently working with senior researchers at Cornell University.
For more about the STAARS Fellowship Program, please visit: http://barrett.dyson.cornell.edu/staars/staars-fellowships.html
2018 NBER-STAARS International Conference
The 2018 NBER-STAARS International Conference will bring together top-tier researchers from all over the world to rigorously discuss the state, challenges and opportunities for a success transformation of African agriculture.
Concept note and a call for papers will be available soon.