Agriculture & Agro-industries
The overall Bank Group Vision for Agriculture and Rural Development is to strive to become the leading development finance institution in Africa, dedicated to assisting African regional member countries in their poverty reduction efforts.
This Vision thus focuses on the central goal of poverty reduction and, therefore, on agriculture and rural development as a prime building block, given the dominant role agriculture plays in most RMCs, as the key employer of the people and the main contributor to GDP, rural transformation, and economic growth.
More specifically, the Bank’s vision for the agriculture and rural development sector is to assume a leading catalytic role, within the next decade, in supporting the technological, institutional and policy changes that would trigger a lasting transformation of the rural economies of RMCs by empowering their rural populations to improve their productivity and real incomes in an equitable and environmentally sustainable manner. Hence, the thrust of the vision is client-focus, with “people-centered development” as the principal theme.
- 17/10/2017 - Africa holds the key for feeding 9 billion people by 2050, Adesina says during Norman Borlaug Lecture
- 16/10/2017 - Policy reforms urgently required for increased private investment in agriculture and agribusiness in Africa, says Blanke
- 16/10/2017 - World Food Day: AfDB urges African leaders to make agriculture attractive to young Africans and stem migration
- 15/10/2017 - Transforming agriculture in Africa
- 13/10/2017 - “Betting on Africa to Feed the World”: Adesina, 2017 World Food Prize Laureate, to deliver Norman Borlaug Lecture on World Food Day
- 12/10/2017 - Invitation to the High level Ministerial Dialogue and Flagship Launch of Post-Harvest Losses and Agro-Processing (PHAP)
- 11/10/2017 - Benin: AfDB supports inclusive growth through agricultural value chains and infrastructure development
- 10/10/2017 - AfDB President, 2017 World Food Prize Laureate, participates in Borlaug Dialogue International Symposium
- 28/09/2017 - AfDB President lays the foundation stone in the electrification project in Burkina Faso