Agriculture & Agro-industries
The overall Bank Group Vision for Agriculture and Rural Development is to strive to become the leading development finance institution in Africa, dedicated to assisting African regional member countries in their poverty reduction efforts.
This Vision thus focuses on the central goal of poverty reduction and, therefore, on agriculture and rural development as a prime building block, given the dominant role agriculture plays in most RMCs, as the key employer of the people and the main contributor to GDP, rural transformation, and economic growth.
More specifically, the Bank’s vision for the agriculture and rural development sector is to assume a leading catalytic role, within the next decade, in supporting the technological, institutional and policy changes that would trigger a lasting transformation of the rural economies of RMCs by empowering their rural populations to improve their productivity and real incomes in an equitable and environmentally sustainable manner. Hence, the thrust of the vision is client-focus, with “people-centered development” as the principal theme.
- 20/10/2017 - AfDB’s agricultural transformation strategy to guarantee 513 million tons of additional food production
- 20/10/2017 - Adesina to set up fund for young farmers, agripreneurs with US $250,000 World Food Prize money
- 20/10/2017 - World Food Prize Laureate says recognition motivates him to accelerate Africa’s agricultural transformation
- 20/10/2017 - Adesina calls for immediate action over deepening crisis of global malnutrition
- 19/10/2017 - AfDB launches pilot programme to cultivate the savannah in eight African countries
- 18/10/2017 - Three World Food Prize laureates call for global action to save African crops
- 18/10/2017 - AfDB seeks global support for Africa’s young farmers
- 18/10/2017 - AfDB commits to help Sudan build resilience and tackle fragility
- 18/10/2017 - Urban diets and nutrition: trends, challenges, and opportunities for policy action.