Private Sector Development: An engine for Inclusive & Sustainable Growth
The private sector development is widely recognized by the international community as an engine of sustainable and inclusive economic growth. The African Development Bank (AfDB), the premier financial development institution in the continent, identifies private sector development as one of its fundamental areas of focus to reduce poverty and support sustainable growth in Africa.
The implementation of the Bank's vision for the development of this sector uses a number of approaches, including: improving the business environment, support for private companies, strengthening institutions and financial systems, the promotion of regional integration and trade, and the creation of a demonstrative effect that attract resources from other donors.
The Bank continues to make significant investments to stimulate private sector growth in Africa. To this end, it has at its disposal a number of financial instruments of different risk classes, ranging from senior secured debt to direct equity, including quasi equity instruments. While the Bank holds some direct equity positions in financial institutions, the majority of the equity investments are channeled through private equity funds.
Did you know?
Bank’s New Private Sector Department supports transactions and therefore to the delivery of the High 5 Priority areas.
- Energy supply is mapped to Light Up and Power Africa. For more information please contact Wale Shonibara: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Agriculture and Rural development are attributed to Feed Africa. For more information, please contact Atsuko Toda: email@example.com
- Industry, mining, and quarrying are mapped to Industrialize Africa. For more information, please contact Abdu Mukhtar: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Multinational components of Communication and Transport are assigned to Integrate Africa. For more information, please contact Mamady Souare: email@example.com
- Social Services, Water Supply and Sanitation are mapped to Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa. For more information please contact Oley Dibba-Wadda: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Infrastructure, Cities & Urban Development. For more information please contact Amadou Oumarou: email@example.com
- 20/07/2018 - Une prise de participation de 20 millions d'euros de la Banque africaine de développement pour faire émerger des multinationales africaines
- 19/07/2018 - Africa50 Meeting: Kenyatta and Adesina call for accelerated private sector investment in infrastructure
- 18/07/2018 - Cabo Verde: African Development Bank approves €20 million for private sector competitiveness & local economic development program
- 13/07/2018 - Africa Investment Forum Road Show in North Africa
- 13/07/2018 - African Development Bank and AfreximBank sign Strategic Factoring project to support African SMEs
Private Equity in Africa (2.6 MB)
Private Sector Development Brochure (1.2 MB)