In 2014, the African Development Bank provided USD 223 million and pledged an additional USD 300 million in April 2015 to help the three affected countries in West Africa – Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone – in their fight against Ebola and to rebuild their economies post-Ebola.
The AfDB has supported the World Health Organization (WHO) in the crisis response by providing essential medicines and equipment to fight the disease as well as emergency training of local health workers. Jointly with the African Union and ECOWAS, the Bank has financed the deployment of Foreign Medical Teams to help contain the epidemic.
As part of its post-Ebola response, the Bank is preparing two new operations to strengthen health systems and restore provision of social services: (i) the establishment of an Africa Centre for Disease Control (CDC), and (ii) a post Ebola Livelihoods Restoration Project (PELREP).
- Remarks at the Africa CEO Forum 2015 - Dr. Donald Kaberuka, AfDB President - Geneva, Switzerland - March 16th 2015
- AEC2014 - Speech - AfDB Chief Economist and VP Steve Kayizzi-Mugerwa - Knowledge and Innovation for Africa's Transformation
- Abidjan Côte d'Ivoire - Speech by PR Donald Kaberuka - Ebola Sector Budget Support Fight Back - Signing Ceremony - 1 Oct 2014
- Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire - 28 August 2014 - AfDB President's Speech at the Signature of US $60 million MoU to strengthen Ebola response in West Africa
Multinational – protocol of agreement between the world health organization and African Development Fund – Strengthening West Africa’s public health systems response to the Ebola crisis - SWAPHS (1.55 MB)
Multinational – Loan agreement between the republic of Sierra Leone – African Development Bank - African Development Fund – on behalf of the transition support facility - Ebola sector budget support – fight back programme - EFBP (1.30 MB)
Multinational – Protocol of agreement between the republic of Sierra Leone – African Development Bank – African Development Fund – On behalf of the transition support facility – bola sector budget support – fight back programme - EFBP (908 kB)
Multinational – Accord de prêt entre la république de Guinée et le Fonds Africain de Développement - Prêt au titre de la facilité d’appui à la transition – Appui budgétaire sectoriel au programme de riposte contre Ebola - PRCE (1.26 MB)
Multinational - Rapport d’activités - CEDEAO-BAD dans le cadre du déploiement des agents dans les pays affectes en vue de la gestion de l’épidémie de la maladie a virus Ebola dans l’espace CEDEAO (1.30 MB)
Multinational – Lettre d’accord tripartite - Don au titre d’une assistance à caractère exceptionnel et urgent pour la lutte contre l’épidémie de fièvre hémorragique Ebola en guinée et ses pays frontaliers (763 kB)
- 07/11/2016 - High-level dialogue on strengthening public health security in Africa calls for huge private sector investments in health
- 14/09/2016 - AfDB approves a US $2-million grant to Cape Verde and Guinea Bissau to fight the Zika virus outbreak
- 27/08/2016 - AfDB to support community-backed healthcare initiatives in Africa