Bilateral relations between the AfDB and UNICEF were initiated in 1988. Education, water and sanitation and health are the main areas of cooperation to address the Millennium development Goals (MDGs).
- Effective collaboration on the Forum on Harmonization for Health in Africa (HHA) to provide support to governments in Africa particularly in the areas of Health Financing
- Collaboration in the water sector (water, sanitation and hygiene, knowledge management, sustainability, impact evaluation)
- Priority areas of collaboration include girls’ education, education, maternal health, HIV/AIDS and its impact on children and families, as well as interventions in post-conflict countries
- Activities related to the project cycle, co-financing, studies, workshops, seminars and dialogue with Regional Member Countries (RMCs)
- Collaboration on data collection initiatives and statistics with AfDB Field Offices.
Formal Arrangements and Financial Contribution
The first AfDB-UNICEF memorandum of understanding (MoU) was signed in July 1988 and subsequently amended for the first time on November 20, 1992. The most recent MoU was signed on April 1, 2005.
For more information www.unicef.org
Focal point for the relations with UNICEF
Principal Cooperation Officer
The Partnerships and Cooperation Unit (ORRU)
Tel: (216) 71 10 39 10