You are here
Principal Operation Coordinator
Position title: Principal Operation Coordinator
Position N°: 50066827
Publication date: 03-Jul-2019
Closing date: 02-Aug-2019
Duty station: Abidjan, Cote D'ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s) have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Vice Presidency for Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization is central to the Bank’s mission of developing the private sector, improving infrastructure and accelerating industrialization. The complex main functions are to (i) strengthen the enabling environment for private sector [and financial sector] development conducive to inclusive growth and sustainable development, (ii) support the development of reliable and sustainable infrastructure, including cities and urban development, and (iii) place renewed emphasis on industrial and trade performance in support of structural transformation across Africa. The Complex leverages knowledge, co-financing, and partnerships to attract private capital and work with governments on delivering the Bank’s development agenda.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The role of the Infrastructure and Urban Development Directorate is to foster infrastructure and urban development in Africa through appropriate policies and strategies as well as projects and programs interventions which the Bank might finance on national, regional or continent-wide basis.
The Principal Operation Coordinator will support in coordinating operational work program, lending program and economic and sectoral work of the department. The incumbent will work closely with the Director and Managers and provide technical inputs. He/She will also participate to the budget preparation process and the production of the Budget Framework Paper. The Incumbent will serve as support to task managers on projects and consultancy procurements issues and will coordinate activities across the Department.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the general guidance and supervision of the Director of Infrastructure and Urban Development, the Principal Operation Coordinator will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Provide support to the Infrastructure and Urban Development Department in setting their respective work programs, lending programs and harmonizing their implementation in line with the operational priorities;
- Report to the Director on work program progress and identify critical areas that deserve specific support and provide recommendations as appropriate;
- Produce reports and statistics related to the execution of the work program;
- Implement and ensure compliance with the budget management guidelines and procedures;
- Assist in coordinating and implementing the activities and programs, performance monitoring, budgeting of the department;
- Coordinate budget submission and the key performance indicators implementation process, the work program and the alignment with the Bank Operational priorities;
- Participate in the preparation of the monthly Key Performance Indicator report and ensure the coordination of the contribution of the department to the preparation of the Quarterly institutional reporting by the Programing and Budget department;
- Represent the Department on internal events of the Bank to enhance collaboration and knowledge sharing;
- Serve as the Secretary to the Department Management Team (DMT);
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Director.
- Hold at least a Master's degree or equivalent in Statistics, Economics, Business Administration or other relevant fields with a strong background in quantitative methods;
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant professional experience gained in an operational department. Demonstrated experience in Portfolio performance management and/or performance and budget monitoring would be an asset;
- Demonstrate good knowledge of the operational policies, procedures, and review processes of Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs) or other development agencies;
- Good understanding of MDB’s project life cycle;
- Strong command of statistical tools;
- Work in close cooperation with the Management Team in managing critical areas or challenges arising from the delivery of the work programs;
- Client and results oriented individual, with strong analytical skills, sense of accuracy and attention to details;
- Excellent teamwork skills and ability to interact effectively with staff members at all level;
- Ability to work under pressure and to deliver timely quality services;
- Ability to work independently with little supervision as well as part of a multicultural team;
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other;
- Serve as focal point of the department in various areas;
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint). Knowledge of SAP and BPPS would be an advantage.
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.