You are here
Team Assistant, AHFR.1
Position title: Team Assistant, AHFR.1
Position N°: 50000236
Publication date: 20-Aug-2019
Closing date: 19-Sep-2019
Duty station: Abidjan, Côte D’Ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been launched, namely; i) Light up and Power Africa, ii) Industrialize Africa, iii) Integrate Africa, iv) Feed Africa, and v) Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa.
The Vice-Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on two of the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”. The complex objectives are (i) to develop, policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pools of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; (iii) develop new financing instruments; (iv) the Vice President will act as the spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT / DIVISION:
The Agriculture Finance and Rural Development Department provides support for the delivery of “Feed Africa: Strategy for Agricultural Transformation in Africa, 2016-2025”. The strategy aims to end hunger and rural poverty in the next decade through self-sufficiency in 15 priority commodity value chains specific to the continent’s agro-ecological zones. Realizing the objectives set forth in the strategy requires increased productivity; value addition; investment in infrastructure; an enabling agribusiness environment; capital flows; and inclusivity, sustainability and effective nutrition. The Department leads the effort to mobilize the required finance to implement Feed Africa and provides support for the implementation of all rural development activities in regional member’s countries.
Under the general supervision of the Division Manager – Agriculture and Rural Finance (AHFR1), the Team Assistant will play a supportive role in the coordination and delivery of the unit. He/She will lead on the establishment and maintenance of all information management systems and databases (e.g. SAP) to enable the effective result-based management. He/She will generate information and reports to inform on the progress, achievements and outcomes of the AHFR1 funded projects and the AHFR as a whole. He/She will oversee the smooth operation of the offices’ support work and related systems by assuming responsibility for the organisation and coordination of work flow as well as reviewing, processing and executing a variety of accounting and resource management transactions. Specific duties and responsibilities include:
Duties and responsibilities
Reporting to the Division Manager – AHFR1 the Team Assistant is responsible for:
- Manage systems; create and process expense reports in SAP.
- Assist the management in issues concerning resources such as the administrative budget; monitor and review expenses and bring issues to the attention of Manager.
- Participate in the preparation of the annual and mid-year budget review by inputting data and the monitoring thereof.
- Produce documents, briefing papers, reports, spreadsheets and presentations.
- Take notes at meetings, write letters, and prepare minutes as requested.
- Assist where applicable with the programming of operational activities by using the appropriate software, entering project information and producing the Department’s various status reports i.e. Active Projects, Pipe Line Projects, Project Status Reports, etc.
- Respond to inquiries on operational matters from Bank executives; liaise with member countries and other staff; coordinate with other members of management and partners; work with other operations assistants, secretaries and groups in different locations.
- Carry out background research in field of competence and present in a logical manner.
- Perform any other duties reasonably requested by management.
- Devise and maintain efficient office systems.
- Track and follow up on documents; deal with incoming email, faxes and general mail.
- Organize and attend to multiple meetings, appointments and events to ensure that responsible management are well prepared.
- Arrange travel, visa and accommodation; travel occasionally with management to provide general assistance.
- Initiate and prepare various administrative documents and forms, such as staff list, staff travels, staff absence (annual leave, home leave, excused absence and maternity leave) as well as statistical data when required on staff;
- Assist Investment Officers / Task Managers in the preparation of reports.
- Create contracts for hiring consultants in DACON.
- Create contracts from projects in SAP.
- SAP entry of project information
Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Hold at least a Bachelor’s degree / Maîtrise or equivalent diploma, higher education in business administration, economics and / or statistics would be an asset;
- Have a minimum of five (5) years of professional work experience in project management, work programme and budget preparation, and information management.
- Good understanding of the functions, organization and procedures of the Bank; leadership; strong research capabilities and problem solving;
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritization in its own program of work, ability to perform the tasks in a timely and effective manner;
- Good interpersonal skills, ability to establish and maintain effective working relations in a multicultural environment;
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, SAP and/or other integrated document management system).
THIS POSITION DOES NOT ATTRACT INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS (THE POST HOLDER WILL BE CONSIDERED AS A LOCAL STAFF AND WILL NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT).
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.