You are here
Team Assistant (Formerly Secretary), PESD.0
Position title: Team Assistant (Formerly Secretary), PESD.0
Position N°: 50076658
Publication date: 05-Aug-2019
Closing date: 04-Sep-2019
Duty station: Abidjan, Cote D'ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Vice Presidency for ‘Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Light up and Power Africa”. The complex’s objectives are (i) to develop policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector technical expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted for their expertise on complicated transactions; (iii) develop new financing instruments; (iv) act as spoke person to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on all aspects of “Light Up and Power Africa”. The Complex will focus on areas of Power systems, policy and regulation, renewable energy; and, Climate and Green Growth.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT
Within this new Complex, there will be a Directorate in charge of Power Systems Development. This Directorate will include the “National and Regional Power Systems” Division and the “Power Utilities” Division. It has the broad objective of supporting the Bank’s Regional Member Countries, and African sub regions, to develop and improve their own Power Systems and the performance of their utilities.
The position of Team Assistant which falls under General Support Services that provides administrative support for the smooth running of the Team, ensures that the Division Manager/Team Leader is freed from all tasks which could otherwise impede the efficient discharge of higher duties and responsibilities.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the General guidance and overall supervision of the Manager / Team Leader, the Team Assistant will perform the following:
- WORK FLOW MANAGEMENT
- Undertake such transactional tasks and processes that support the smooth running of the work of the Manager and Team;
- Provide support and follow up on routine administrative correspondence and processes;
- Undertake correspondence and tasks in accordance with the Bank’s accepted formats and check on probable typographical errors, presentation, completeness and procedural accuracy of all documents submitted to the Manager / Team Leader for clearance, approval or signature;
- Review and prioritize important correspondence and tasks for execution;
- Follow-up and ensure that tasks are completed with dispatch and within given deadlines.
- COMMUNICATION AND LIAISON
- Receive visitors and telephone calls with tact and discretion, and act according to the nature and urgency of each, including redirecting to the concerned division members or action parties as appropriate;
- Facilitate the arrangements for meetings with respect to their timings and booking of venue;
- Provide support to the Manager / Team for appointments with official visitors and/or staff members;
- Follow up on work deadlines for routine and assigned tasks;
- Schedule meetings for the Manager / Team, according to schedules and Agenda for the week;
- Arrange time and venue for meetings, and provide support required for their success;
- Write meeting reports/minutes.
- RECORD KEEPING AND DOCUMENTATION
- Maintain a filing system in both hard and soft copies to meet the needs of the Division / Team;
- Keep a weekly calendar of activities that shows all meetings to be attended by the Manager / Team Leader as well as by other staff members. It also includes all external visits to the Department;
- Obtain briefing and background materials for meetings, seminars, workshops, etc. to be attended by the team's staff, checking their availability and ensuring they have the appropriate briefing files and documents;
- Maintain Contact address / Mailing directory of partners working with the Division / Team.
- OFFICE ADMINISTRATION
- Make travel arrangements for the Manager / Team including tickets, hotel reservation, etc;
- Support the preparation of presentations as required;
- Photocopy and send electronic communication when the need arises;
- Undertake any other related tasks as assigned by the Manager / Team Leadership.
- PROCUREMENT DUTIES
- Assist in carrying out the function of procurement duties;
- Process Purchase Requisitions assigned to the Functional Group related to procurement of goods, services and works;
- Receive and review requisitions for clarity, adequacy of specifications, completeness, obtain additional information and liaise with the User Departments and, confirm that the budget exist for the requisition.
- Manage the budget assigned to the division;
- Assist management in issues concerning resources such as the administrative budget; monitor and review expenses and bring issues to the attention of management;
- Participate in the preparation of the annual and mid-year budget review by inputting data in SAP system and the monitoring thereof
- Hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Commerce, Administration or related discipline;
- Training in secretarial Science and/or Administration and Office Management is advantageous;
- Have a minimum of four (4) years of relevant and practical experience in administrative and secretarial roles, in similar offices of international Organizations, Development Banks or similar institutions;
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Good knowledge of administration and office support services, including systems and procedures;
- Able to work under pressure and to prioritize in the dynamic setting of an international and multicultural setting;
- Handling internal and external requests efficiently;
- Ability to work and cooperate with others from diverse background;
- Ability to manage simultaneous and shifting demands, priorities and tight deadlines;
- Proficiency in the use of standard equipment (computer, fax, scanner, photocopies etc.);
- Demonstrable commitment to delivering excellent customer service focused reception and administration service;
- Good writing skills;
- Problem Solving;
- Client Orientation;
- Team working;
- Operational Effectiveness;
- Innovation and Creativity;
- Integrity and confidentiality;
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other;
- Bilingualism, knowledge of Arabic, Portuguese, etc. is an advantage;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and SAP).
THIS POSITION DOES NOT ATTRACT INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS (THE POST HOLDER WILL BE CONSIDERED AS A LOCAL STAFF AND WILL NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT).
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.