Rural Access & Mobility Project


  • Référence: P-NG-DB0-005
  • Date d’approbation: 18/07/2007
  • Date de début: 03/07/2008
  • Date d'évaluation: 17/02/2007
  • Statut: En coursOnGo

Project Development Objectives

The sector goal is to develop an adequate, affordable, safe, environmentally sound and efficient transport system in the context of a progressive and competitive market economy.
The objective of the project is to improve access to transport services for the rural population in Cross River State.

Project description

Project Outputs:

The project comprises the following three components:

  • Civil Works
    Rehabilitation of gravel feeder roads (474 km) to all weather access roads with two-lane 6.0m wide carriageway and 1.0m wide shoulders in selected areas of Cross River State.
  • Consultancy Services
    • Package 1: Conceptual Design Studies and Supervision of Works
    • Package 2: Institutional Strengthening and Baseline Studies  
      • Technical Assistance
      • Training
      • Studies: Road Reclassification Study; Bridge Inventory Study;
      • Baseline study for Project Monitoring Indicators
    • Package 3: Project Audit
  • Project Management
    Support through the supply of office equipment and vehicles;

Project Management

After appraisal, the Cross River State Government (CRSG) has expressed its’ intent to have all road sections sealed. The Bank has accepted this solution provided CRSG would fund the additional cost.

This was accepted by the CRSG, and the current financing arrangements for the works are based on a sharing formula whereby the ADF will fund about 35% of the cost and the CRSG would fund the remaining 65%. This is based on a cost estimate for an asphaltic concrete (AC) seal over a laterite gravel base course. The Bank has conducted a Life-Cycle Cost Analysis (LCCA) that confirmed that low-cost sealing (DBST) would result in higher long-term economic benefits than the construction of un-sealed but well maintained gravel roads in CRS.

Current status

  • Civil Works

Civil Works: Rehabilitation of the Gravel Feeder Roads The works will commence once the bidding process has been completed. This is likely to be in early 2011.

  • Consultancy Services

Package I: Conceptual Design Studies and Supervision of Works

This component involves the conceptual design study for the rehabilitation of 474Km of rural feeder roads, preparation of bidding documents, provision of pre-contract services and assistance during tendering process until award of contract, supervision of works up till the Defects Liability Period (DLP). The Final Design Report as well as Bidding Documents have been submitted and the Bank has given its No-Objection to commence bidding.  The Special Procurement Notice (SPN) was published on November 10th, 2010.

Package II: Institutional Strengthening and Baseline Studies

This component involves Technical Assistance, Training and Baseline Studies. The studies include: road reclassification involving preparation of a digitized State Road Map, Bridge inventory survey, detailed electronic bridge inventory for all water crossings above 10m length and Baseline survey for the development of Monitoring Indicators. The Consultancy services have been procured and the studies are on-going. Generally, the Consultant is progressing well. 

Project Audit Consultancy Services

An external auditing firm is expected to review the Project’s financial statements and to express a professional opinion on the financial position of the Project at the end of each fiscal year and on the Statement of Expenditures covering the whole period of the Project implementation activities. The procurement of the firm is on-going.

  • Project Management

Goods: Procurement of Office Equipment and Vehicles
The procurement of vehicles and office equipments to support the Federal and State level Project Management and Implementation Units (FPMU and SPIU) has been achieved.

Contacts clés

MWILA Aaron Katambula - OITC1


Source Montant
FADUAC 35.270.000
GovernementUAC 850.000
Co-financierUAC 3.280.000
TotalUAC 39.400.000