CIF 2014 Annual Report
Welcome to the AfDB CIF 2014 Annual Report. In this report, we invite you to explore developments in the AfDB CIF portfolio, which has advanced to leverage finance and knowledge for 27 countries (through 1 regional and 24 country Investment Plans) in Africa as they work to pilot transformations in clean technology, sustainable forest management, renewable energy access, and climate resilient development.
As the report shows, AfDB exponentially increased its CIF portfolio during 2014 by supporting an additional 9 countries to raise their renewable energy profiles through the Program to Scale up Renewable Energy in Low Income Countries (SREP), taking the SREP Africa portfolio from five to 14 countries.
In addition, a number of the original countries in the portfolio have advanced to a more mature stage of development, as demonstrated in Kenya’s Menengai geothermal project and Morocco’s Noor CSP project.
2014 also brought movement forward in our efforts to engage the private sector at the local and national levels, including through innovative private sector projects in Kenya, Mali, Ghana and Mozambique; to facilitate innovative financial solutions such as financial intermediation through local commercial banks and long-term debt financing in local currency; and to move into an integrated approach to mitigation and adaptation in the forest and agriculture sectors.
The report highlights examples of expected results, such as: 2.1 gigawatt (GW) of increased energy through renewables in CTF, a 390 megawatt (MW) increase in geothermal capacity through SREP, significant poverty reduction through PPCR, and an exponential increase in rural micro-enterprises through FIP.
We hope that this report provides you with valuable information and adds to the growing knowledge base on how to finance climate-smart development.
The AfDB’s work with CIF is helping African countries reshape the pace and breadth of climate-smart development in Africa. Going forward into 2015, we rededicate ourselves to that mission.
- 01/06/2016 - The Gambia awarded US $1.5 million to undertake a sweeping Strategic Program for Climate Resilience
- 27/05/2016 - African journalists join AfDB to explore the path to a green and powered Africa
- 11/05/2016 - Rwanda gets green light to prepare plan to sustainably enhance its forest resources
- 07/04/2016 - Kenya to tap into Rift Valley geothermal resources and strengthen private sector investment in renewable energy
- 22/03/2016 - Half of Africa’s nations advancing climate solutions to front burner in national development plans: report